Studying for a Master’s degree:

Students who completed their undergraduate studies in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering will receive an MSc in Electrical Engineering degree. Students who completed their undergraduate studies in another faculty will be awarded an MSc (Master of Sciences) degree (see admission requirements,) after earning 19 academic credit points and submitting either a thesis / comprehensive engineering project; or, after completing a study program of 27 credits and submitting a final paper (about half the scope of a thesis).

Students in the research with a thesis track are required to earn 16 credits in graduate courses + 3 credits in prerequisite courses (graduate or undergraduate courses). Students in the research with a final paper track must earn 24 credits in graduate courses + 3 credits in prerequisite courses (graduate or undergraduate courses).

Students will be awarded the MEE  – Master of Electrical Engineering (without a thesis), upon  earning 40 credit points in graduate courses, 6 of which must be in seminar and/or laboratory courses that were approved in advance by the GSC (Graduate Studies Committee,) and that involve a substantial component of independent work. Students should earn the remaining credits by taking graduate courses taught at the Department of Electrical Engineering and courses from the joint undergraduate-graduate curriculum that they did not take as undergraduates.  Students may substitute faculty courses with similar or equivalent Computer Sciences courses. The number of courses taken in other departments is limited. The GSC must approve taking these courses and can decide to allocate a reduced number of credits to these courses.

Each student must submit a study program form for each semester. The forms must be signed by both students and advisor and submitted to the Graduate Secretariat of the Department of Electrical Engineering.  Requests for adding or canceling courses must be submitted using the Request to change the study program form, signed by both student and advisor. Submission must be through the faculty Graduate Secretariat.

Grade points and credits will not be allocated to students who do not enroll in a course using the study program form. Also, cancelation of a course retroactively is not possible.  If a student is enrolled in a course and, without advance notice to the teacher, fails to take the examination, they will be considered “failed” in this course. (Note paragraphs 26.03, 26.05, 26.07 in Graduate School Regulations). A re-registration in that course (in the following or earliest possible semester) will be required. 2nd exam period is not available for grade improvements. Students who failed an undergraduate / graduate course are entitled to repeat the examination in the 2nd exam period.

Students are responsible for finding a research / engineering project topic, as well as finding an academic advisor. Students must seek out faculty members related to their intended research project’s field of interest as soon as possible and no later than after accumulating 10 credits. It is not possible to guarantee an advisor for each subject and area, especially for students who do not study full-time at the Technion (i.e. without working outside the Technion.) Approaching advisors from outside the Electrical Engineering Department can only be done if no faculty member is knowledgeable enough in the student’s field of interest, and only with permission from the Graduate Studies Coordinator. Approval for external advising must be given by the GSC.  The Graduate Studies Secretariat will advise Students accordingly.

We consider research to be the “core” of the degree and it requires, as a rule, concentrated effort, originality and mastery of the relevant scientific subject matter.

The research / engineering project / final paper proposal should be submitted to the faculty GSC on a form, along with a short (5-6 lines) abstract about the proposed study, duly signed by both student and the advisor. As soon as the proposal is approved, the temporary advisor is substituted by a permanent advisor.

College Graduates in the areas of Science and Engineering

Only graduates of colleges that are accredited by the Council for Higher Education can apply.
For more information please contact the Graduate School.

Each candidate will be evaluated according to the scope of their previous studies and their achievements. College graduates are must present a certificate containing their grades, relative to other graduates of the same track.


Scholarship application dates appear on the Graduate School website. MEE students are not eligible for a stipend.